You may call poison control directly at 1-800-222-1222.
Poison control will direct you in the safest course of action. These are some basic principles to guide you:
- Save container and any material left in the container so you can give the name of the product and its contents.
- NEVER induce vomiting by giving Syrup of Ipecac.
- If your child has swallowed lye (drain cleaners, automatic dishwasher detergent etc.) or swallowed acid (toilet bowel cleaners, etc.) DON’T give anything by mouth, CALL POISON CONTROL.
- If your child has inhaled a poisonous gas:
- Carry patient to fresh air.
- Apply artificial respiration if breathing has stopped.
- Keep patient quiet and warm.
- If toxic substance is on clothing and/or skin.
- Remove contaminated clothing.
- Rinse contaminated area thoroughly with water
- If an irritating substance gets into the eyes, hold eyelids open and wash with gentle stream of running water for 5 minutes.
REMEMBER THAT THE BEST TREATMENT FOR ANY KIND OF POISONING IS PREVENTION. LOCK UP ALL DANGEROUS CHEMICALS AND MEDICATIONS.